Monday, February 15, 2010

Milk



Director : Gus Van Sant
Starring : Sean Pean, Josh Brolin, James Franco, Emile Hirsch
2009

Alright look, I knew what this movie was about. I tried to look past that because there were a lot of things that could've made this movie good. Van Sant is a pretty good director. There is an amazing cast. It was nominated for 8 Oscars and won 2 including Penn for best actor. It's a fight the power movie which is always fun. Only thing is I cringed and looked away at a lot of dudes kissing because that's just not my thing.

Harvey milk was a politician in San Francisco who fought and won a lot for gay rights during the 70's. The opening scene announces his and the mayors death so spoiler blown. Milk moves to California early in the 70's and grows a passion for politics. After numerous attempts to become the first openly gay official, he finally succeeds.

The rest of the movie entails all of the drama Milk goes through while in office. He is faced with riots, death threats and fellow ill intentioned officials. In a movie where not that much in terms of action, fighting, ect occurs, I was still interested. You are watching this movie for the acting. I don't know who Harvey Milk was but he must be a lot like how Sean Penn portrayed because I believed it. Brolin did a great job acting a breakdown. Hirsch was good as usual.

Rating: 3 and a half stars. If you can look past the dude kissing and humping and you'll see a quality movie. I don't even remember if there was any dude humping because my fragile mind has built up a wall around the whole situation. There might've been though.

Best Scene : When Brolin is drunk at the bday party. He's lost it.
"

Quotes : "Whatever! I don't even know who you are, you just showed up out of nowhere, Latino man. "

State Senator John Briggs: It's time to root them out.
Tom Ammiano: And how are you going to determine who's a homosexual?
State Senator John Briggs: My bill outlines procedures for identifying homosexuals.
Tom Ammiano: How? Will you be sucking them off?

"You replaced Scott with a lesbian?"

"I know you're angry! I'm angry!"

Stills :












Trailer

No comments: