Monday, February 15, 2010

Slumdog Millionaire



Director : Danny Boyle
Starring: Dev Patel, Frieda Pinto, Saurabh Shukla.
2009


Slumdog Millionaire won best picture last year but I have just had no motivation at all to see it. I thought it was a musical to be honest. What does it take to find a lost love? Not two hours of my time. Plus I thought it was a bollywood movie and i'm not really into those at all. It won the Oscar though, there must be some redeem qualities about it. I am a fan of Danny Boyle although he has made some stinkers. Oh well I gave it a try.

This movie isn't really a the love story that it's built to be. I mean, it still has that element, much of the last quarter of Slumdog is Jamal (main character) trying to get with Latika (the chick he's in to). Jamal gains entrance into India's Who Wants to Be a Millionaire game. It's more like a 20 million rupeeaire I think. He wins but gets thrown in jail for suspicion of fraud (greedy producer doesn't want to give up them money so accuses him of cheating). Sergeant Srinivas is given the job as interrogator for the case. Srinivas roughs up Jamal a little then reviews a recording of the show. This is the main plot of the movie, each question relates to a significant and particular event that occurred in his life. Jamal grew up poor with his brother Salim alone after their mother was gunned down by rebels or something. From here on out, Srinivas keeps questioning Jamal who answers by showing viewers his life little by little.

Rating : 4 Stars. The story telling in Slumdog Millionaire is superb. Your bummed when Jamal struggles and psyched when he makes it big. Patel does a good job with his role. The Movie is a pretty good ride. I definitely slept on it too long and it's worth a view. For a movie I anticipated being bored throughout, Slumdog kept me enthralled.

Best Scene : There are a lot of solid scenes in this, but nothing amazing. At least I don't remember anything amazing, so I'm probably right. The phone ringing scene at the end was pretty good. Oh now I remember one. The whole thing with the host giving the answer in the bathroom. It was easy to predict what was happening but still, classy.

Quotes :
Jamal Malik: I knew you'd be watching.
Latika: I thought we would meet only in death.
Jamal Malik: This is our destiny.
Latika: Kiss me.
okay that was pretty gay. doesn't count.

"Money and women. The reasons for make most mistakes in life. Looks like you've mixed up both. "

Stills:










Trailer

No comments: