Monday, March 15, 2010

Fanboys



Director : Kyle Newman
Starring : Jay Baruchel, Kristin Bell, Sam Huntington
2008

There's a pretty good chance you haven't heard about this movie. The nerd side of me only saw the trailer once, it wasn't widely marketed at all. The plot is four friends get together and embark on a road trip to steal a copy of Star Wars Episode 1 six months before it is to be released. They are doing this because they are all huge mega Star Wars nerds, which are also known as fanboys. One of them, Linus (easily the least likable of the bunch), has some terminable disease and won't make it to the movies release date, hence why they try to pull this off. I know saying I didn't like the dying guy is kind of messed up but I really didn't like him.

The main characters name is Eric. He is a car salesman that appears to have outgrown his childhood nerd friends. I guess they had some kind of falling out, he told them to grow up and when they didn't left. Once he finds out that Linus is doomed he comes back and they start their road trip. The two guys that make the movie are Baruchel and Fogler. You might remember Fogler from the horrible movie Balls of Fury. He made me laugh a few times in this one. Baruchel getting really big at the moment. His thing with the R2D2 at the very end killed me. I watched that part a couple of times. Of course Kristin Bell is a babe. Seth Rogen, Will Forte, Craig Robinson (Darryl from the Office), Doug Denman (Roy from the Office), William Shattner, and Danny Mcbride all have small roles so there are some a bunch of funny people in Fanboys.

Rating : 3 stars. Fanboys is a very average movie. There are a few funny parts and it doesn't try too hard. The story isn't anything groundbreaking and the movie feels almost like it is an indie film. I however, wouldn't recommend it unless you are pretty interested in seeing it.

Best Scene : The interviews with Danny Mcbride were pretty funny. Baruchel's line in the tent again killed me. Seth Rogen as both a pimp/star wars nerd might have been the best scenes though.

Quotes :
Zoe: That better be your lucky R2 poking me.
Windows: Nope. My penis.

"What's the Klingon for "I'm going to die a virgin"?

Eric: [hands him a vacuum cleaner] Your mom said clean up this shit-hole or no grilled cheese for a week?
Hutch: [sticks his head out on the door] That's emotional blackmail, and you know it!

"Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking in my van!"

Windows: So, we're all hunky-dory? We're all copacetic?
Roach: Well, if the word "copacetic" means I'm gonna rip off your tongue and lick your ass with it, then yeah, we're copacetic.

Head Of Security: Mr. Lucas is touched and mildly flattered by what have done here. And I have been informed that I feel the same way. So the charges are gonna be dropped. That is, of course, if you are what you appear to be.
Windows: Uh, what do we appear to be?
Head Of Security: Fanboys. Something we can easily determine with a simple quiz.

Screens:










Trailer

No comments: